- Outreach & Awareness
- Young Professionals
- Sister Societies
- Cooperative Programs
- Awards & Recognition
Get Involved: Networking
Networking occurs when there is a planned event or gathering with the primary goal of connecting with others. Networking is an invaluable tool that anyone in the business world can utilize, but unfortunately few fully take advantage of these opportunities. The purpose of networking can vary, yet the primary focus is to meet people, and have people meet you.
There are many opportunities to network in the credit union community. As a Young credit union professional, it is imperative that you utilize every opportunity to meet, interact and connect with those around you. While the environment where networking occurs can vary greatly, there are a few simple goals and objectives to keep in mind:
- Arrive early. If you are there before the rest of the group, you are assured the maximum opportunity to meet everyone.
- Arrive with a specific goal in mind. Before the meeting, set a goal for yourself for that day, and then achieve it. Don't arrive at the meeting feeling uninterested or unfocused.
- Make sure you have writing materials and plenty of business cards.
- Make sure you have a purse or briefcase to deposit the materials and business cards that you will accumulate.
- Stay organized. Make sure to shake hands when introduced, or when you introduce yourself.
- Don't huddle up with co-workers or friends. It is easier to be approached by others if you don't appear to be busy with idle conversation.
- Don't be afraid to approach people you don't know.
- Lastly…..follow up….don’t let these great opportunities, contacts and hours go to waste!
As a member of the Credit Union Young Professional (YP) network, you will have many opportunities to meet and interact with those that have similar goals and objectives. Don’t waste the opportunity... Network!!! You will find your business and personal lives much enriched by doing so.