CUNA's "Open Your Eyes" Initiative Going Live in Cornerstone Region
In 2019, Cornerstone is pivoting away from its "Feel the Difference" consumer awareness and going "all in" with CUNA's "Open Your Eyes" Consumer Awareness Initiative. We are raising funds now and expect to go live with digital advertising in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas in the fourth quarter of 2019 with a hard launch for all of 2020 and 2021.
We can be proud of the fact that our league was on the forefront of a new, tech- and research-driven consumer awareness effort that is cutting edge. In 2017 and 2019, we delivered a consumer awareness initiative that was 100 percent digital, targeting those consumers 18-34 years old who have yet to feel the difference of members in credit unions across three states.
Cornerstone has worked closely with CUNA during the past two years as it prepared "Open Your Eyes" to go live across the country as part of its Creating Awareness Advisory Group.
Benefits of "Open Your Eyes?"
The benefits of "Open Your Eyes" to Cornerstone's credit unions are numerous. The scale, potential impact, and commitment to a singular voice and single message are what drove Cornerstone and its board of directors to shift from our local effort to this national effort.
- A true national initiative achieved through highly-coordinated regional advertising and communications programs that will overcome the myths that prevent consumers from considering us.
- An updated image for credit unions in a rapidly changing financial services market place full of disruptive non-traditional financial institutions.
- Alignment of coherent messages seen and heard by consumers wherever they are in the country implicitly suggests a far-reaching and consistent offer from a national network of financial service providers that put their members first.
- Access to creative content, research briefings, and other material you can put to work in your own marketing programs to build market share.
What is "Open Your Eyes?"
It's a digital advertising initiative with a to increase consumer consideration of membership in credit unions. Research told us that consumers knew about credit unions (98 percent of Americans have heard of a credit union), but that 72 percent weren't likely to consider membership in one. We need to increase consideration by overcoming two widely held myths about membership:
- I can't join
- Accessing my money may be hard
Learn more about the overarching plan by watching a Cornerstone/CUNA joint webinar about the go-to-market strategy for the Cornerstone region.
Ready to Add Your Credit Union's Name to the List of Participating Credit Unions?
With your contribution, collectively as a movement we will boost ROA and bring a greater share of the 93% of consumer assets held by banks to credit unions. Together, we can bring more consumers to their best financial partner - credit unions.
Cornerstone and CUNA have a funding model in place that allows for credit unions to contribute the lesser of two amounts — $1 per member or asset-based funding tiers — for 2019-2021.
Contact Cornerstone President/CEO Caroline Willard to learn how you can begin participating today.